Wednesday, January 27, 2010

We are Still Alive.....BARELY

It rained all for days last week, which we never see in Las Vegas. Justin and I were so excited for some weather that reminded us of home. That is until the rain cloud stopped directly over the Patrick family and started pouring!

It all started on Monday, it was just one of those terrible, no good, very bad days for me. By the time Justin got home from work I was just done! Unfortunately I had to go to the store to pick up some milk and other things....that's when I noticed my car key was missing. Now you must know this is a fancy car key we are talking about. A couple of years ago my purse got stolen and one of the car keys was in it. When we went to order a replacement key we found out the price was only $400.....yeah, we decided we would just stick with one key. Well as luck would have it, literally weeks before we want to get a new car, I loose the dang key. Tore my house apart, organized every nook and cranny.....no key, no extra $400 to get a new key.....AWESOME!

So I took Justin to work on Tuesday so that I could get some errands done by using his truck. That night as I leave to pick him up it was POURING outside, and dark, and I'm driving a huge truck that I am not really used to driving so I was being extra cautious and careful.....apparently not and I got into an accident, on a left yielding turn. I don't really know what happened besides I totally didn't see the car and next thing I know, CRASH....the kids are screaming, I start freaking out. Everyone was ok, we were lucky! Turns out the work truck does not have the current insurance card in the glove box so I get a ticket for $899, and a nice court date where I will have to prove the insurance, yada yada yada......AWESOME!

Wednesday morning I notice that Coleman has not touched his bottle. Have you seen this kid? This is not a normal thing. He is coughing, running a bit of a fever, runny nose, looking HORRIBLE....so I decided to take him to the doctor and of course, nothing is wrong, nothing they can do for him. Well come Thursday, he is still not drinking anything and will only eat mandarin oranges. When he woke up from a 3 hour afternoon nap all he wanted was to be held and then he would continue sleeping, plus no wet diapers all day. So my friend who is a nurse tells me that I better make it my mission to have this boy pee tonight or I will end up in the ER. Justin and I took turns holding him and forcing water down his throat with a medicine dropper.....for 6 hours, until he FINALLY peed.

So Friday morning I took Coleman in to the doctors again, this time he sent us to the ER to get him an IV and to hydrate him. Here he is all dressed in his hospital gown and playing...the calm right before the storm.
He then got the IV and a chest X-ray. By this point he was miserable and just laying there. We were told pneumonia, and then he was given some antibiotics.

After monitoring him some more, his oxygen levels were falling when he would sleep. When that started happening the ER doctor decided to admit him overnight.

Not something a mom wants to hear...and now I am starting to worry.

Once we got up to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit things just seemed to get worse, he spiked a fever of 103.7 and his oxygen starting falling while he was awake. By this time he needed some oxygen tubes down his nose. We were also starting a process of breathing treatments. In the mean time they were trying to get a mucus sample, but they kept getting rejected by the labs because there was blood in it. That night we learned he had 2 ear infections as well. Our poor little man!
Both grandmas were so supportive and also freaking out as well. Justin's mom was able to fly out to help us with the boys which was so nice.

So we spent the weekend in the hospital, from Friday until Sunday night. It was long, and I was exhausted. The ending result being that Coleman had Bronchiolitis, which they think was caused by the RSV virus.




He was soooo happy to come home, and so was I. It was so cute, he just started wrestling with his brothers as soon as we walked in the door.

Through it all we did receive some TENDER MERCIES, which I must note.....

1. My house is really clean and organized from looking for that key.
2. The truck is totally fine to drive after Justin took off the bumper so we are not completely car-less.
3. Mike Roe was literally minutes behind me after the accident so we stopped and took the kids so they were not in the middle of the road in the pouring rain.
4. The nice hot bath I was able to come home to that night.
5. Hospitals, medicine, technology
6. My sweet mom for waking up really early to talk to me while i was in the hospital, and everyone one else was still asleep.
7. Justin's mom for dropping everything to be here to help us.
8. My iphone, pretty sure I would have died of boredom if not for that thing.
9. Insurance, Coleman is the only one of my boys that has medical insurance right now......phew!
10. Pray, Heavenly Father is there, I can feel it. With everything that we have been experiencing I have somehow been able to keep pretty calm, and ok with it.
11. Wonderful friends who I would die without
12. Diet Pepsi.....big huge ones!!
13. Tax Returns, I just finished my taxes and Hallelujah we are getting a return!

13 comments:

Nat Lud said...

What a week! Sorry to hear he was so sick but happy he's home and healthy again. Just looking at those pics gives me the heeby jeebies from having to live there for so long. Don't get me wrong, the staff at St. Rose is amazing but there's no place like home--especially with healthy kids. :) HOpe things get better in the future. You are awesome!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Oh man, Megan! I'm so glad your week is over. Looking at the pictures of poor Coleman - how sad for the little man!

PLEASE let me know if there's any thing we can ever do to help!

Charis said...

That was a terrible week! So sorry! It can only get better from here, right? Hope this next week is a great one!

Becky said...

I am just glad you are all okay. At least next week is a new week.

THE ARMSTRONGS said...

I'm sorry you had such a crummy week. You are good to look for the positives...Glad the Cole-man is alright. I haven't heard RSV for awhile. Love you guys, Rebecca

Kristine L. said...

So glad that he is home and feeling better! Hopefully things are better this week!

The Tanner Family said...

Oh my goodness Megan. What a week, your so good to look at the positives of it all! I almost cried seeing those pictures of Coleman. What a sweet little guy:)

Amy said...

Those pictures are so painful to look at. Poor baby... He looks so much like Jack in the 4th one. I love the one coming home. What a difference! No more sick babies. Grammy can't take it!!

Melissa said...

Thanks a lot for making me cry with that post. You are dealing with some not so fun stuff, but when you stopped to recognize the tender mercies that Heavenly Father has blessed you guys with, I just started crying. I feel bad for people in the world who are dealt crap, but can't see through it all to find the blessings. There's my sermon for the day...:) Love you guys! And I think you need to move back to Cali. Justin is so talented. He can find something to do out here. And my kids could take piano from you too. Just do it!
~Melissa

katierose said...

holycow! glad you're all still alive and home and doing MUCH better! and hopefully you've had time to recoup a little since coleman's release from the hospital.

Sadie said...

Dang Megan! Good luck with this week. Hope it's better....I don't think it could get much worse.

Camille said...

oh man! No wonder you weren't up to coming clear out here! I had no idea things were so crappy. I feel so bad for poor Coleman-that is awful! I can't imagine having a kid admitted though the ER. Justin's mom is a saint. Sorry- I would have helped had I known.

I do still feel awful that we have a bottle of yours, your glass dish and Jacks gun from Christmas. maybe I'll just bring it out. Are you guys around Friday. We don't have any school- staff day... Let me know

Cami said...

Oh Man!! What a crazy month for you. I hope you are able to recover, as well as Coleman. Nothing worse than to watch your little guy suffer. I hope you have at least a few weeks of down time, with NOTHING exciting happening. Wish I was around to help. Miss ya!