Thursday, March 20, 2008

Bakersfield = HELL

So on Tuesday we left Las Vegas around 12:30 for Folsom. We were going great and making excellent time. We were approaching Bakersfield around 4:00pm when all of a sudden Jack vomits.....ALOT! I must back up and tell you that this little kid takes after his mom and gets car sick, but he hasn't for the last couple of trips (of course we were driving through the night so he was sleeping) but I forgot all about giving him something to prevent the sickness. So he throws up and I have to stop on the side of the freeway, it's everywhere. It was so bad that I made the decision that he needed a new car seat.
So we call and get directions to the local Wal-mart in Bakersfield. Let's just say it was an experience. I felt like we had just stepped foot in Tijuana. We were like the only white people in the place and it was DIRTY! I am not a germ phobic person at all and Shauna and I were putting the anti-bacterial hand sanitizer all over us once we were out of there. By the time we are done with Wal-mart it is a little after 5pm, so its been over an hour wasted.
By this point I decide that I want the boys to eat something decent instead of fast food on the road, so we stop at the local Albertson's. Well, we drove to another part of town because I just could bare to go into another store in Tijuana. As soon as we get out of the car I see a homeless man approaching Shauna, here we go again. She didn't have any money so then he comes to me. "My daughter and I are very hungry and if we could just get the 8 piece chicken inside, it's $4.99". So at this point I think to myself, well I am having a bad day maybe I can change things and help someone out. I give him a $5 bill, and then this is what comes out of his mouth, "Well I am pretty sure they will charge tax!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I just looked at him and walked away. So then when we are in the store I picked out some of those uncrustable PB&J sandwiches for the boys, by this point they are starving and the stupid sandwiches come frozen. No problem right, we go over to the deli/bakery where I see the homeless man getting a FREE 8 piece chicken and some juice. And then me a paying customer ask them to just thaw out these sandwiches for like 10 seconds, to which I get the very nice reply, "I'm sorry mam we can't help you with that."
I then head to a gas station, Shauna went in and bought a drink so that we could use the microwave. I leave just in time for someone to cut me off. It is now around 6pm. Almost a two hour detour and Shauna and I still need dinner!

Sorry Anne.....I am sure you live in a much nicer part of Bakersfield! Either that or you are a lot more loving and patient then me when it comes to other cultures!

12 comments:

Kevin and Natali McKee said...

Dang that sucks, what a freaking jerk. He had so many choices with 5 bucks in a grocery store. Throw up is horrible when you are traveling.

familyof4 said...

Awful. I'm SO sorry! We have this curse at one particular hotel that everytime we stay there Taylor throws up the first night...weird! You know how you've told me Jack drinks a lot? I think Taylor over flowed with milk and that's why she's thrown up. Either way Throw up is just nasty!

And what an A-Hole of a guy..pardon my language. =)

Crouch6 said...

I feel your pain. Ava gets sick in the car if we let her watch movies. So, it seemed like every time we went over Hoover Dam she would get sick. I got really good at cleaning it up. Hope you are having fun now that you are there!

Camille said...

I am laughing so hard reading this. You totally crack me up. sometimes I am so loving towards people that are poor and underpriveledged, but other times I am down right annoyed and get so frustrated like you did.. LOL
Sorry you had a crappy trip. Did Justin go with you guys or did you go it alone.
I've been carsick since I was a kid too, but so far neither kid has shown signs of it.

Kate said...

Oh my gosh! You poor thing,
I am glad you guys made it though. And you are brave driving those 2 little boys, what an adventure!

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anniebanannie said...

Oh Bakersfield...Sometimes I just laugh at the world around me. It really isn't that bad though. I usually just ignore the beggars:) Oh and a little culture never hurt anyone. Sounds like you were on the east side of Bakersfield.

Tracie said...

Oh what a nightmare! I am so glad that Shauna was there!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

This post made me laugh! Glad Shauna was with you and that you survived a few hours in Bakersfield.

Nat Lud said...

You are making me laugh! That is a crappy but hilarious adventure! Thanks for sharing.

Brianna said...

Wow! What a trip. You didn't mention this earlier...when we talked. This is one of those experiences that you will...in time...laugh about!

MoTO MoMMa said...

Wow I feel for you we relocated from Sacramento to Vegas in January and make the trek back home ever other month. We have a 4 yr old and an 8 month old and the trip is always hard on our girls, but they are troopers. I give you major kudos for making that trip at least 8 hours in a car with two youngins is no bueno. Love your blog have a great day!